Thursday, June 9, 2011

Gluten Free Rice Pudding

As you may know, I am 11 weeks pregnant and fighting some sort of stomach issue (possible an ulcer or gastritis). So, during my last check-up my Dr. suggested that I give a gluten free diet a try. Now, I am a carb junkie, so this sounds like a death sentence to me. Though I have not started this diet yet, I did purchase a carton of Almond Breeze "milk" the other day, because I am mildly lactose intolerant and should not be drinking milk while having stomach issues. I am squeemish about trying new things, especially in the milk department, and I must say that I am not fond of the color, texture, or slightly sweet almond flavor. I love almonds, but I just can't get past it while drinking something called "milk." So, I have been eating it in cereal, where I don't notice the slight flavor, but I need to use the carton up in 7 days. In an effort to create a tasty treat, remain gluten free, and use up the almond milk, I decided to make rice pudding. I used a recipe from tasteofcuba.com, but am suggesting slight modifications. Also, be prepared, because the almond milk turns the rice pudding a sort of grayish color.

Gluten Free Rice Pudding

1/2 c rice
1/2 c water
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 lime rind
1/2 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla
4 c almond breeze milk (original)
1 cinnamon stick
Powdered cinnamon

Add rice, water, cinnamon stick, salt and lime rind to large saucepan and boil rice, uncovered, until tender and most of the liquid is gone (about 10 min). Add milk and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to med-low and simmer, uncovered, until most of the liquid is absorbed and the pudding has thickened. Stir occasionally to keep rice from sticking. Remove lime rind and cinnamon stick. Place in dishes and top with powdered cinnamon.

No comments:

Post a Comment