
I consider myself a damn good cook. I have yet to be told other wise. Now, that being said, I've always had a hard time getting the simplest of deserts right; the chocolate chip cookie. It could be because my idea of a tasty chocolate chip cookie is made by Keebler elves in a magical land far far away. They are the perfect chewy consistency, with just the right amount of chocolate-y-ness.
I have followed the recipe on the back of the Hershey's and Nestle's bags. I have tried Girardelli chips with the Better Homes and Gardens Recipe. Still no luck. A few weeks ago I opened a Pinterest account and stumbled onto a yummy looking picture of marbled chocolate chip cookies. The author had slightly modified the New York Times recipe. I took the idea, modified it slightly for my needs, and ended up with a damn fine cookie!
Try them and let me know what you think. This recipe yields three dozen medium-sized cookies.
Chocolate Chip Cookies
3 2/3 c flour
1 1/3 c sugar
1 1/3 c brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp sea salt
2 eggs
2 sticks butter, room temperature
1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla
Cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add in eggs, one at a time, mixing well between additions. Add in the vanilla and stir well. Add flour, salt, soda, and powder. Stir until well combined. With a wooden spoon, stir in cocoa and chocolate chips. Yes this method makes the dough look marbled instead of a uniform chocolate color. For a medium-sized cookie, roll 1 tbls dough into a ball, then place in a gallon-sized baggy or a bowl. Refrigerate dough for 24 hours. (The recipe that I used did not make this suggestion, but it was very difficult to portion the cold dough onto the cookie sheet). Place dough 2" apart on parchment-lined cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-12 minutes, or until the bottoms are slightly browned and the dough is just set. Remove from oven and allow to rest for three minutes then cool on a wire rack. Be sure pan is cooled off before baking the next batch.
The recipe that I used suggested sprinkling sea salt on top of the cookies before baking. This was a yummy idea, but I don't feel like it added much to the over-all flavor of the cookie. I might suggest adding some chopped roasted pecans instead.
No comments:
Post a Comment