Thursday, October 21, 2010

Pear and Blueberry Crisp

As you may know, I enjoy cooking. My mom gets the credit for my possession of this fine attribute. Love ya, Mom! I decided to post some of my favorite recipes for you to enjoy. For the most part, they are simple and easy. Most of the time, they'll probably be what I ate for breakfast, dinner, or dessert. As a side note, if the recipe is not original I will make every effort to give credit to my source, but I cannot make any promises.

For dessert tonight I made a pear blueberry crisp using pears, since they are in season, and frozen blueberries. The blueberry oatmeal intensifies the blueberry flavor and adds a little extra texture to the crisp. Let me know if you like it. Enjoy!

1 1/2 cups blueberries
4 pears, peeled and diced
1/4 tsp almond extract
2 tbls cold butter
1 tbls sugar
1/2 tbls tapioca (optional)
3/4 c flour
1/4 c brown sugar
1/4 c sugar
2 packages blueberries & cream instant oatmeal (or plain oatmeal)

Preheat oven to 375F. Butter a 1 qt baking dish, add diced pears, blueberries, almond extract, 1 tbls sugar and tapioca. Mix to combine. In small bowl combine flour, brown sugar, sugar, and oatmeal. Cut in butter until crumbly. Top fruit with crisp mixture and gently pat down. Bake until golden brown and bubbly, approximately 35 min.

Notes: I did not use almonds in the topping, but they would be yummy. This recipe uses a fine crisp top due to extra flour, you could reduce the flour by 1/4 cup if you desire. The tapioca is not necessary, but it acts as a thickener. If you do not have tapioca, sprinkle some flour in with the fruit. The ingredient measurements are approximate, since I do not measure out ingredients for simple desserts. I urge you to experiment :)

No comments:

Post a Comment