Friday, October 29, 2010

Moroccan Chicken with Couscous

I had paid an exorbitant amount of money for a whole chicken last week and decided to get my buck's worth. So, I washed the chicken, lightly salted and peppered it and then cooked it in the crock pot for 4 hours. I allowed the chicken to cool to room temperature and then placed it in the refrigerator. The next day I ripped that sucker apart and divided the meat into three portions. One portion I froze. One portion I used to make chicken and biscuits. One portion I refrigerated. Tonight, I used the refrigerated chicken pieces to make Moroccan chicken.

The recipe that follows cooks the chicken with the stew, but either method is super tasty. If you have a picky eater in the house (like my family), this is a great way to prepare veggies! This is a modified recipe from All Recipes.com (ID#83565).

1 cup couscous
1 tbls oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 bay leaves
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
6 chicken pieces (breasts, thighs, legs)
16 oz can garbanzo beans
16 oz can crushed tomatoes
6 c chicken broth
2 carrots, diced
1 zucchini, cubed
1 summer squash, cubed
1/2 eggplant, cubed (optional)

Prepare the couscous per package directions.

Saute the onion and carrots until the onion is tender. Mix in spices, add chicken pieces and cook until browned. Add zucchini, summer squash, and eggplant, cook additional 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, cover and simmer 25 minutes. Serve over couscous.

No comments:

Post a Comment