One of my favorite fall/winter treats is Irish soda bread. I have been making various versions for the past few years that are more like a desert or cake, but I decided to modify one of the recipes that I use to make it more authentic. From what I know about Irish soda bread it is very basic, no eggs, no sugar, no caraway seeds, no raisins! Other recipes that I have found have also used baking powder, yeast, butter, etc. I made a yummy loaf a few days ago and it was as easy to make as it gets. I hope you give it a try, even if you don't bake, and bread scares you, it is hard to mess this one up. This recipe makes one, smallish, loaf.
2 1/4 c flour
1 c buttermilk
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
Preheat the oven to 375F. Mix flour, salt, and baking soda. Stir in buttermilk until mixed. Knead the dough until all of the flour is incorporated and it begins to smooth out (about 5 min). Form the dough into a ball and tuck the sides underneath. Place on un-greased baking sheet. Using a sharp knife, make two shallow cuts in the form of an x on the top of the bread. Bake for 45 min or until bread sounds hollow when you knock on it. (Yes, really, go ahead and knock on the loaf).
This bread is best when eaten warm and the same day it is made. It will last a few days at room temperature but will go rancid if left too long. If you have left-overs, you can microwave a slice or toast it, but you should consider putting some butter and/or jam on it.
No comments:
Post a Comment