I'm trying to make smaller meals and to make life easier on myself by doing some meal preparation ahead of time. This being said, a few days ago I made stuffed green peppers, as you well know. I had 1 lb ground beef, but only needed to use 1/2 lb, so I saved the remaining 1/2 to use for shepherds pie. I was able to use fresh carrots straight out of my garden! Even though the recipe seems small, it yields 4 servings. I suggest serving it with warm buttermilk biscuits.
1/2 lb ground sirloin
1/4 c diced onion
1/4 c diced carrot
1 c frozen mixed vegetables (corn, peas, beans)
1 tbls Worcestershire sauce
2 tbls ketchup
1 c beef broth
4 tbls butter
1/4 c milk
1/4 tsp thyme
2 large russet potatoes
2 tbls flour
salt & pepper
Heat 2 tbls butter over med-high heat, add carrots and onions. Cook for 5 minutes, then add ground beef. Cook until ground beef is cooked through and vegetables are tender. De glaze the pan with the broth, mix in ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and thyme. Gradually sprinkle flour into mixture, stirring constantly. Allow sauce to thicken, stirring occasionally. Add frozen vegetables and heat for 5 minutes. Place in 1 qt baking dish.
Meanwhile, peel and dice two potatoes. Place in medium saucepan, cover with water, and add salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to med-high and boil for 15 minutes or potatoes are fork-tender. Strain potatoes and put back in hot pot on hot burner. All additional water to cook off, then mash potatoes, add butter while continuing to mash. Add milk, salt, and pepper to taste and consistency.
Top meat and vegetable mixture with mashed potatoes. Place in a preheated 375F oven for 20 minutes. If top does not brown, broil for 5 minutes or until potatoes are golden on top.
No comments:
Post a Comment