I've made this recipe a few times over the summer to use up the bounty from my garden. I have heard nothing but good things about it and have had a lot of requests, so here it is. To be honest, I got this recipe from Allrecipes.com but I have tweaked it a lot from the original, so I don't think you'd be able to find the original anymore.
My recipe calls for summer squash, but you can use zucchini, cooked butternut or acorn squash, or a mixture that strikes your fancy.
Streusel
1/4 c brown sugar
1/4 c sugar
1/4 c flour
1/4 c oats
1/4 c nuts (pecans are best)
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 tbls cold butter
Cake
1/2 c butter-flavored shortening
1 c sugar
2 eggs
2 c squash
1 tsp vanilla
2 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
pinch cloves
1 c applesauce
Cream together shortening and sugar. Add in eggs, squash, vanilla, and spices. Stir in flour. Grease two loaf pans or an 8 x 8 cake pan. Place half the batter in pan, layer in applesauce and 1/2 the streusel. Top with remaining batter and streusel. Bake at 375 for 40 min or until done.
No comments:
Post a Comment